Building Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How long does it take to get a permit?

Permit issuance periods vary. Some projects can be fully permitted over-the-counter (e.g. water heater, HVAC, electrical upgrades, demo, and re-roof), meaning a return trip will not be required. Some projects, however, require that plans and/or additional required documents be left for review.


What about zoning?

Zoning governs, within a defined area, the types of buildings and their use. Zoning is regulated based on the General Plan adopted by North Ogden City. Some questions and approvals for zoning can be issued over-the-counter by the same staff that reviews your building plans. Others need reviews by specialty zoning or planning staff. Planning information may be obtained by calling (801) 737-2216. Can I do the work myself? Homeowners may be issued permits to perform any work on their own single-family residence in which they reside.

What about a contractor?

The City requires that you deal only with a contractor licensed by the State of Utah Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing [DOPL]. Their telephone number is (801)-530-6628 if you need further information.