Planning & Zoning Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Planning Commission agendas and packets containing the staff report can be found on the city website here

ACCESSORY BUILDING                                             

Accessory building is a building that is “subordinate or customarily incidental to and located upon the same lot occupied by a main use or building. There are two types of accessory buildings, a large accessory building and an accessory building. Each zone has standards for the size, location, and material standards.


Annexation applications are processed through the City Recorder’s office. You can obtain an application there or online.

For more information contact the North Ogden City Recorder’s office at (801) 737-9830.


What is a land use decision?

A land use decision is an action taken regarding a land use application by a land use authority. Who the land use authority is, varies based on the type of application, e.g. the Planning Commission, and the City Council, and Staff all act as the land use authority.

How do I appeal a land use decision?

All appeals of land use decisions are submitted to the Planning Department prior to the expiration of any appeal period, along with the appropriate fee. Generally, the appeal is a letter with a narrative explaining what land use decision is being appealed and why the decision is being appealed. The documents provided should address the ordinance approval criteria. The City has determined who the appeal authority will be for the different types of land use decisions. It is recommended that anyone interested in making a land use appeal obtain legal advice on how to proceed.

Can the decision of the appeal authority be appealed?

Yes. There can be a judicial review of the appeal authority decisions. To find more information on judicial review, consult the Utah State Code or a qualified attorney.

Does filing an appeal stay the decision of the land use authority?

No. The filing of an appeal does not stay the decision of the land use authority.

Where can I find additional information on appeals?

Utah Code Title 10 Utah Municipal Code Chapter 9a Municipal Land Use, Development, and Management Act Part 7 Appeal Authority and Variances

The North Ogden City Zoning Ordinance (Title 11 Chapter 4) Variances and Administration has a section on appeals here.

The Conditional Use chapter has a separate appeal process and a section on appeals here


Where can I obtain land use applications? Can I submit applications or obtain information electronically?

At this time the Planning Department does not have the ability to accept applications and supporting documents electronically. Planning Department application forms can be found here

What are the deadlines for submitting a Planning Commission application?

Applications to the Planning Commission need to be submitted a minimum of 15 days for certain applications but additional time may be required prior to the Planning Commission meeting for more complicated applications like subdivisions. The Planning Staff certifies completeness of applications and schedules a Technical Review Committee meeting in order to identify any issues that need to be addressed. Upon the receipt of Technical Review Committee remarks a Staff report is written and the item is placed on an upcoming Planning Commission agenda.

Can I construct an accessory or “mother-in-law” apartment on my property?

Accessory dwelling units are allowed in the RE-20 and RCC zone.

The following link gives the requirements for an accessory dwelling unit as a second residence in the RE-20 zone here

The following link gives the requirements for an accessory dwelling unit as a second residence in the RCC zone here

Other homes may legally obtain building permits to include 2nd kitchens and similar facilities, though in general these areas may not be rented out separately. ADU’s are required to obtain a business license if the ADU is rented; a registration is required for a family member occupying the ADU unit.

What are the differences between a permitted use and a conditional use?

Permitted uses are uses allowed in a zoning district but may require a Site Plan Review of the proposal.

Conditional Uses are uses that have been determined to be a desirable use in a particular zone; however, these uses may be subject to discretionary requirements to mitigate impacts created by the use. The Planning Commission has the authority to issue Conditional Use Permits.


Can I schedule an appointment to meet with a planner?

Yes. If you know the planner that you want an appointment with you can contact them directly, or call the main Planning Department number at (801) 737-2215 to schedule an appointment.


Do I have a buildable lot?

If your lot is part of a platted subdivision and the property lines have not been altered, then the lot is buildable if all other city requirements can be met, such as water and sewer.

If the property or parcel is not part of a subdivision, then you need to contact the Planning Department. A title search will be necessary to determine if the parcel was a lot of record prior to December 31, 2000. A subdivision application may need to be approved prior to receiving a building permit.


I want to make application for a building permit. Where do I make application for my project?

The North Ogden City Building Department will process all building permit applications. Building permits are available online

You can contact the Building Department at (801) 737-2213.


What is a building setback?

Building setbacks are the prescribed distance from the property line to the building; the setbacks are found in each zoning district.


Who should I contact about zoning ordinance violations?

Zoning violations are investigated on a complaint driven basis.  To report violations contact a Code Enforcement Officer at the Police Department at (801) 782-7219, Monday thru Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. 


What is a home occupation?

A home occupation is a provision to allow certain kinds of businesses in residential zones as long as they do not change the character of the neighborhood. Provisions for home occupations can be found online

Home occupations are required to obtain a business license. Please contact City Business License office at (801) 782-7211.


When do I have to install landscaping on my new lot?

The front and side yard of every lot including the park strip must be landscaped with protective ground cover within 18 months of receiving a certificate of occupancy. The backyard must be landscaped within 2 ½ years of receiving a certificate of occupancy. The standards can be found online here and here


Will I receive notice of a project near my property?

There is no requirement in State Code for notice to be sent to adjacent property owners. The city policy is to send a courtesy notice on most application types to property owners within 300 feet of the subject property. Applications that involve public hearings, e.g., an application to change a property’s zoning will also be noticed in the newspaper and on the city website.

Why wasn’t I notified of my neighbor’s subdivision proposal?

There may be several reasons why you did not receive notice. The most common reasons are being outside the 300 foot notice radius or having incorrect address information on the tax record.


How do I make application to be on the Planning Commission?

Applications are available at the City Recorder’s office. Generally one or two terms are up for consideration each year. When vacancies arise, the City Council will accept applications to fill the vacancies. The applications are reviewed by the Mayor and City Council; they may interview the applicant. The Mayor appoints a Planning Commissioner with the advice and consent of the City Council.

Who is on the Planning Commission?

There are 7 members of the Planning Commission who are residents of North Ogden City and they serve a five year term.

When does the Planning Commission meet?

The Planning Commission meets on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6:30 PM in the City Council Chambers located at 505 East 2600 North. Work-sessions are scheduled as needed. The Planning Commission agendas can be found on the city website here.

Public Comment Policy: What is the process for submitting comments to the Planning Commission if I cannot attend a meeting?

Communication to the Planning Commission can be addressed to the Planning Department by either letter, fax, or e-mail and must be submitted and arrive 8 days in advance of the Planning Commission meeting to ensure there is time to place comments in the Planning Commission packets and provide them to the applicant in a timely manner.

Comments submitted by e-mail must be received by 3:00 PM on the day of the Planning Commission meeting. A paper copy of the e-mail will be given to the Planning Commission in the meeting. E-mail submittals will be required to include the following contact information, i.e., name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number of the commentor. Copies of e-mails submitted after the agenda has been posted will be provided to the Planning Commission and the applicant at the Planning Commission meeting. Anyone wishing to see information received after the agenda packet has been sent out may come to the Planning office to review them.

What is the best way to be successful in making a presentation at a Planning Commission meeting?

 The Planning Commission has a handout to assist you in your preparation. See link

What are the Planning Commission Meeting Procedures?

 The Planning Commission meetings are organized with a specific order. See link


What is the process for obtaining documents that are part of the public record?

The state program for obtaining public documents is the Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA). To obtain information that is part of the public record a GRAMA request form needs to be filled out and submitted to the City Recorder for processing. Many of the records are online such as minutes and agendas. There are records that are copy right protected such as drawings from engineering firms.


When is a subdivision process required? What are the requirements and how long will it take?

Utah State Code defines any division of land as a subdivision. The North Ogden City Subdivision Ordinance specifies the process and standards for subdivisions and can be found online here

Many variables affect process times for subdivisions, such as the number of lots, required improvements, and City reviewing agency requirements.


Planning Department Web Page

The Planning Department web page can be found here.

The Planning Department web page contains information on public hearing notices, the North Ogden City Zoning Map, applications and forms, the Land Use Code, how to start a project, and the North Ogden City General Plan, and the Planning Department Annual Report.

Planning Commission Agenda and Packet

North Ogden Planning Commission agenda can be found here

Fee Schedule

Where can I obtain a fee schedule?

Development related fees can be found here

Maps and Aerial Photos

How do I get maps and aerial photos?

There are two ways to get maps and aerial photos. The first is by going to the Weber County interactive map online. The City website also has zoning maps here


What is zoning?

Zoning is the basic tool for community general plan implementation. Zoning is an attempt to assure a compatible interrelationship of land uses in such a way that the community goals for health, safety, morals, and general welfare are promoted. Zoning laws identify how land may be used including a list of allowed uses and development standards, e.g., building setbacks. Zoning in North Ogden City is categorized into residential, commercial, and manufacturing zones. The North Ogden City Zoning ordinance can be found here

Where can I find an online zoning map?

An Interactive Planning Map can be found here

A paper zoning map and other zoning related information can be obtained by contacting the North Ogden City Planning Department at (801) 737-2215.

Who should I contact with zoning questions for North Ogden City?

The North Ogden City Planning Department can be contacted at (801) 737-2215.

Why doesn’t my neighbor have the same rules as me?

Each property in the city is located in a zoning district. Each zoning district has individualized standards. If your neighbor is in a different zone then those standards will apply. Another possibility is that your neighbor’s property may have been built under different rules that have changed and are not the same as your property.