Land Use Code Questions & Uses

What is a land use decision?
A land use decision is an action taken regarding a land use application by a land use authority. Who the land use authority is, varies based on the type of application, e.g. Planning Staff, the Planning Commission, and the City Council all act as land use authority.


What are the deadlines for submitting a Planning Commission application?
Normally applications to the Planning Commission need to be submitted 30 days prior to the Planning Commission meeting. The North Ogden City Planning Commission meets on the first and third Wednesday of every month.


Can I rent my house on a nightly basis?
At this time all zones in North Ogden City do not allow single family dwellings to be rented on a nightly basis.


Can I construct an accessory or “mother-in-law” apartment on my property?

Accessory apartments as part of a single family residence are allowed in the RCC Residential City Center Zone.


Can I submit applications or obtain information electronically?

At this time the Planning Division does not have the ability to accept applications and supporting documents electronically, nor does the Planning Division have the ability to send out updates on projects. This capability is being developed. For Planning Division application forms, click here.


 What are the differences between a permitted use and a conditional use?

Permitted uses are uses allowed in a zoning district, but may require a Design Review of the proposal. Conditional uses are uses that have been determined to be a desirable use in a particular zone; however, these uses may be subject to discretionary requirements to mitigate impact created by the use. The Planning Commission has the authority to issue Conditional Use Permits.


  Who should I contact about zoning ordinance violations?

To report code violations contact the Code Enforcement Officer, at (801)737-2218, or e-mail at For animal control questions or complaints, click here


What are the city's fence height regulations? 

For current fence height regulations, click here. However, it is recommended that you consult with a city planner prior to installing a fence.